Life is not always bright and beautiful. There are times we have to face relational difficulties, the problems of living in an unfamiliar culture, unexpected changes, emotional troubles and challenges.
New Leaf works mainly in three areas:
- Serving the Chinese and others in London and surrounding areas through professional counselling;
- Providing relevant training courses and workshops;
- Co-ordinating with other professional counsellors and those working in similar fields to support one another, raise standards and popularise this caring work
For all enquiries or booking a counselling assessment, please contact:
Anita Tang (Manager & Counsellor)
Tel: 07786961615 (Mon-Fri, 10am-7pm)
We are unable to provide any of the following: counselling through phone/email, treatment for severe mental health illnesses, medical/medication advice, legal advice.
Counselling is a process of exploring the issues brought by the client; helping to relieve and resolve difficult situations; enabling personal growth and decision making and facilitating healthy life changes. It is based on a trusting, confidential and mutual relationship between the counsellor and the client with shared goals.
Counselling is not giving advice or medical treatment; nor casual chatting. Clients need to take initiative to seek help and commit to the whole process of regular sessions with their counsellor (usually once per week).
Who is it for?
Those who are facing difficulties in:
- Interpersonal / marital / family relationships
- Rapid/ dramatic life changes (e.g. redundancy, bereavement, trauma, etc.)
- Repeated emotional troubles (e.g. depression, anxiety, confusion, anger, guilt, inferiority, etc.)
- Setting free from present or past experiences…
Our service is available for all the Chinese community regardless of income, religion, gender, disability or type of problems.
Mandarin, Cantonese and English.
Each new client will receive a FREE assessment session, which aims to discover whether counselling will be suitable for him/her. In order to help the counsellors cover their costs of supervision, transportation and insurance, we suggest a contribution for each counselling session, on the following scale:
Suggested Amount of Contribution to Your Yearly Income:
£10 – (Under £10,000)
£15 – (£10,000 – £15,000)
£20 – (£15,000 – £20,000)
£25 – (£20,000 – £25,000)
£30 – (£25,000 – £30,000)
£35 – (Over £30,000)
However, special arrangements can be discussed in the assessment session, and clients can also make request to their counsellors about changes to the amount in the process if it is necessary. We promise that no-one will be refused the service for lack of money.
We mainly use rooms available in the three churches of the following locations: China Town, Hammersmith and Colindale (see following addresses and maps). You can choose a location which is most convenient to meet your counsellor.
Chinese Church in London – Worship & Ministry Centre
69-71 Brook Green, Hammersmith, London W6 7BE
Chinese Church in London – Soho Outreach Centre
166A Shaftesbury Avenue, London WC2H 8JB
Hyde United Reformed Church
Varley Parade, Edgware Road, Colindale, London NW9 6RR
We are professionally trained and qualified counsellors who abide by the Codes of Ethics and Practice of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and of the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC); and we work under regular supervision.
We are currently a team of seven volunteer counsellors, not a profit oriented organisation. As Chinese living in Britain we understand both the Chinese culture and the issues related to living in Britain.
We are also practising Christians from the churches in and around London. However, we will not impose our faith on anyone who comes to us.
To serve the particular needs of different Chinese groups, we can arrange various workshops and courses for you. Below are some possibilities:
- Courtship Course
- Marriage Preparation Course or Pre-Marital Counselling
- Parents-to-be Workshop
- Parenting workshops
- How to express LOVE (workshop)
- Art of Apology (workshop)
- Personality & Relationships (workshop)
- How to deal with Stress /help those stressed (w)
- How to overcome Depression /help those depressed (w)
- Communication Skills (workshop)
- Training Course on Caring Skills
Whether you are a professional counsellor or involved in a caring role, we believe that yourself, your work and your family need encouragement and support from others. New Leaf warmly welcomes you to attend our regular bimonthly counsellors’ fellowship. This offers you the opportunity to meet others working in the same field, pray for each others’ work, learn and chat together as well as join our free professional development training activities.
Please pray for our ministries below which we hope to start soon and contact us with your ideas and resources:
- Parents & Toddlers Group (local community service)
- Single Parents Support Group
- Support Group for Families with Special Needs (autistic child, long-term illness, etc.)
- Bereavement Support Group